July 2026

July 2026
Over the years, we've always compared our family life to a wagon train heading west. Just as everyone had to do his part to get to Oregon years ago, so everyone in our family must do his/her part to make our journey through life successful. If somebody climbs in the wagon and lets the others do the work, we just don't make any progress. We all have to pull our weight and work together. Along the trail we find lots of pebbles that make for a smooth ride and some bigger rocks that jar us a little; we hit the occasional pothole that can slow us down. But if we purpose to search diligently, there are countless gold nuggets and precious gemstones along the way as well. This journal is an attempt to preserve some of those precious moments for our children, and our children's children, as together we travel this trail called life.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11


Thursday, June 30, 2011

6-30-11 Good-bye June

Yep, blink, just like that, it’s over. But it was a good one, chock full of nuggets along the trail and countless precious moments to remember. We are blessed indeed and praise our heavenly Father for once again bringing us safely this far. I’ll try to recap the week if I can remember that far back.

After a stormy rainy Sunday night, Monday morning was drizzly. It turned nice in the afternoon, but not hot. Gotta love that :)

Tuesday eight of us headed to Restmor for a nice singing with lots of help which is always very enjoyable. We came home to do piano lessons and a whole list of other tasks, but instead Dad surprised us by coming home for lunch! So the list didn’t get done, but that’s ok; we much prefer Dad surprises! Tuesday night was rough. After a late weekend, a late Monday night, and an early Tuesday so we could get to the library before Restmor, Ben had a headache. And this one was bad, an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. It culminated when he puked twice, and finally, thankfully, he fell asleep, exhausted. About the time we’re wondering if something is really wrong, and if we should take him in for testing or something, we always come full circle back to the fact that when he is overtired he gets headaches, and the next morning he is fine. Which, THANKFULLY, once again Wednesday morning, HE WAS!!!! He came out of his darkened sound-proof (well the fan is a good white noise anyway) room Wednesday morning with his normal ornery grin, and oh boy, was I glad to see that! And he’s been fine ever since! And we’ve been doing much better at getting him to bed in good time, even if it is still light outside. Hopefully he’ll outgrow this odd malady, but until then, Dad & I have a serious charge to take better care of him and make sure he gets his sleep! [His head hurt so bad he was ready to give ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS so he would NEVER have to have a headache again.]

Wednesday I turned 42. I had a great morning home with the kids, and we had another great time at the creek (first time since May 12 this year!)(it’s been too cold!!). After that my day went downhill, as somehow I picked up a hideous headache after the creek fun ended :( NO FUN. The beautiful birthday cake from G’pa & G’ma Steiner, the delicious rolls from my dear friend, and numerous text, email, and postal birthday wishes made my day special, but boy that headache sure didn’t! After the Tylenol-nap-walk treatment, it went away somewhat, but the rest of the day I was still zapped of energy and just didn’t feel 100%. I strongly suspect it was related to my late Tuesday night (remember Ben was up?) and early mornings (always up around 5 or 5:30, don’t know why) plus the thunderstorm kept me up some on Sunday night - - anyway, after an early bedtime last night and an uninterrupted eight hours of sleep, I felt much better today - - praise the LORD!!!

And today was another beautiful day. The older kids (Tori, Jacob, Kate) did a lot of garden work, and I did inside work with the littles, and by 11:30 we were off to the creek again for another jolly good time with NO headache following. Dad & I went away for supper – and we thoroughly enjoyed our nonstop conversation with NO interruptions :) Oh how I love and delight in our children, but I love and delight in their Dad even MORE!! We weren’t out long, though because we also did some errands, the main one being some Sevin to spray on our trees which the Japanese beetles are literally destroying :( Nasty things.

Now some pictures that the kids didn’t use this week - - -

As long as he’s practicing I’m not too fussy about posture! :)

P1070533

A few more px from Wednesday’s creek trip.

P1070540

For size perspective, this cup is an Aldi 8 ounce yogurt cup.

P1070541

P1070549

P1070553

P1070561

Classic!

P1070566

And just what are they looking at?

P1070568

I was told it’s a HUGE catfish.

P1070569

Obviously, HUGE is relative! :)

P1070569 (2)

P1070579

The beautiful white sands of Lake Michigan it is not, but I think the kids have just as much (more?) fun as they would there!

P1070586

P1070587

P1070588

And beautiful clear blue waters of Florida it is not, but it’s cold and wet and we love it…dirty water and all. I’m glad God made dirt not to hurt!

P1070589

Yeah, we’ll all be glad when the 4-wheeler is back from the shop…the mower isn’t quite as trustworthy. Can you find Jewel in the picture?

P1070590

P1070592

Redneck we are, no denial there!!!!!!!

P1070594

Potatoes look beautiful in this patch – we finally figured out why. For years & years & years we’ve been dumping wood ashes from the wood-burner right in this area. And according to the internet (which as we all know is always right) - you guessed it – root crops thrive on soil that is fertilized with wood ash! Yay, us!!

P1070595

LOTS of blossoms on the cantaloupe plants – and the black tarp is slowly disappearing – a GOOD thing!!

P1070600

First yellow zucchini. Can hardly wait – shouldn’t be long now - - -

P1070601

Gotta love the eighties look. I remember U. Jeff had shades just like this. Boy, was he cool.

P1070612

Occasionally I let Sarah and Jewel take pictures (they take the # of their age); they took these next few shots – I don’t know who took what, but they both do a pretty good job for pipsqueaks!

P1070621

P1070626

P1070627

P1070628

I think Sarah took the above four, and Jewel took this one (I think…).

P1070630

Today’s trip to the creek included lunch.

P1070638

The bank on which they’re standing is all clay, with icy cold spring water emerging in a few spots. Pretty neat - - -

P1070642

What is clay for if not to paint your face???!!!

P1070643

P1070645

P1070648

P1070650

P1070667

P1070652

There’s fun to be found even in shallow water - - -

P1070654

P1070660

No trip is complete without a butterfly, or a damselfly…

P1070664

Always fun to throw rocks.

P1070666

Happy kids :)

P1070670

Sweet cherry tree with LOTS of beetle damage up on top.

P1070673

Pretty lacy leaves, huh? :(

P1070674

And that’s it for June!

No comments:

Post a Comment