Two weeks ago.
Last Friday the 7th.
Last Sunday the 9th.
Last week.
Wednesday evening before church.
Friday night.
Saturday.
Saturday night, around 9:00.
I snagged these first two pictures from a facebook post that a neighbor published. I wasn’t there to see it but am glad for those who were who took pictures and shared them.
We got the phone call a little after 9:00 that Grandpa’s house was on fire and we should come to town. By the time Dad & I got there, it was mostly under control; only the truck was still burning. This picture was printed 9:19.
For the next two hours or so, there were still flames in the attic; firefighters monitored ‘hot spots’ which would smoke or flame until they were hit with water again. By midnight, we were on our way to AB’s to get Dad settled for the night.
This was the last picture ASK took before we left.
Four days later, and it still seems surreal. It’s been a really long four days.
I’ve learned a lot about what happens after a fire. More than I ever cared to know.
But I’ve also learned how my kids can pull the wagon without me. They’ve done a great job.
And I’ve learned again what a blessing it is to be a part of a wonderful church family and community who really love the Lord and care for each other. The firefighters were amazing in their concern for Grandpa and their efforts to bring things out of his house, even when it was still burning. They went way above and beyond simply putting out the fire; and we can’t thank them enough. May God reward them where we can’t. The offers of help pouring in are almost overwhelming, and we appreciate every one, although at this point there isn’t much anyone can do. We have a list, though, and when/if we need help, it’s a comfort to know it’s available. Last night we settled Grandpa into a cozy little apartment across town, and we’re confident that he’ll be happy there until it’s time for the next step, whatever that is. Meanwhile, we covet and appreciate your prayers for continued strength, grace, and wisdom to do what’s next, and that God will be glorified and His name lifted up by all that has happened.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
John 13:35
No comments:
Post a Comment