by Tori
On the 3rd we went to Morton fireworks. It was a half hour and all in all a pretty good show. On the fourth, the boys and Dad finished building the walls and we went to Uncle Jerry’s pool for awhile before supper. Dad, Mom, & Josh went and got Monical’s. We spent the rest of the evening inside staying cool. I did go out to watch Peoria’s opening volley from our driveway, but that was all. Thursday we worked around the house & then went to the pool in the afternoon.
Earlier this week Josh went out and helped Levi & Jesse. He told us, “I workin’ bewy hard.”
Little carpenter boy.
Some of us climbed onto the roof when the boys had a ladder up.
A bunch of country kids chillin’ on the roof.
Corn, corn, & more corn (a very dominant view around here).
Josh picked up a bunch of concrete chunks from around the construction site, so Jesse, Sarah, & Jewel helped him throw them into the ditch.
The sun going down (& finally giving us a slight respite from its heat).
Dad working before fireworks Tuesday.
Katie helped Josh make a book out of pictures from magazines.
More house progress yesterday.
After all our Friday jobs were done plus a few more, we swam at U. Jerry’s for awhile. While there we got a phone call from Levi that the air conditioner had quit!! Thankfully, a few phone calls & a visit from our friend Tim, & it was repaired & going again, & we only had to push back our supper at our friends the Kochs a half hour.
In other matters -
Peaches have been great this year.
Tree 1.
Same tree, closeup.
2.
Same tree, closeup.
3.
Same tree, closeup.
4.
There are a few more that aren’t quite as loaded, and we’ve picked two or three trees clean too. Some of them have bugs in them but so far we have been really pleased with the crop.
Sprayer planes – a favorite part of summer.
The corn around the house looks good – in some spots.
In others – not so good. Sadly, more & more corn around here is starting to look like this.
That’s all for now.
Mom’s 2c -
Well it’s been a busy week. Actually every week is blistering busy. Every week I’m amazed that it’s Friday already. How does it get here so fast?
Jesse and Jacob have made remarkable progress on the house. When anyone tries to tell you that kids are lazy these days and don’t know how to work – well they are wrong. There are still teenagers around who know how to work and even like to work (and it’s not just kids who live here. We know lots of kids like this).
Especially this kind of work – building a house. Now, I’ll admit these 101 and 102 and 103 degree days were NOT in the plans when we decided to do this project, and Jesse will readily admit he would enjoy the work a LOT more if the temps were about 20 degrees cooler, but I guess we just get more character building out of the project than we expected.
And I’ll be the first to say that this heat has to build character (if it doesn’t kill you first)…
After picking beans for a mere 30 minutes this morning, I was clammy, chilly, lightheaded, and slightly nauseous when I came back in. I know, I know, I know, I’ve never claimed to be tough – as a matter of fact I know I’ve admitted on more than one occasion that I really am not pioneer material…and since most of my work is inside (kids do most of watering, weeding, etc. in garden), I’m completely not used to working in the heat. If I was out more often I really think I would be able to withstand more.
Like the white-haired biker who borrowed our shade this morning. He knows he can’t go 25 miles in this heat without breaks and rest, but he still has to keep going to train for his cross-Iowa ride in two and a half weeks. Has to build up his endurance, see.
Hmmm.
And the corn. Oh my. Most people can look at the two px of corn above and see that yes, one stand looks good and the other looks bad. But I learned for the first time this year (and it’s likely that most of you farmkids know this anyway) that when corn tassels, it also shoots an ear. I never knew that. I mean, I knew ears show up at some point, but I never knew it started when the corn tassels. So this year we have seen a lot of corn tassels with no ears forming. Funny how we look at corn with different eyes when it’s doing so badly. LIke Tori said, in some spots it looks good; but in many many other spots it’s not a pretty picture. Not for the camera and certainly not for the farmer.
On a good note, over the last ten or so years we have planted a dozen peach trees, and we’ve been careful to plant varieties that ripen at different times during the summer so we have a summer-long supply of fresh peaches (Dad’s favorite fruit). I have a little chart with the year, variety, and when each tree ripens (although I don’t know at first sight which is which). We have varieties that ripen early July, mid July, late July, early August, mid August, and late August. Well, for the past couple of years we’ve had a few ripen here and there that we’ve enjoyed, but this year, of all years (they must like hot hot dry???), we have been eating peaches for about three weeks now, with anticipation (see pictures, above) of a few more weeks yet. Oh joy! After all those years of planning, planting, pruning, and watering (and mowing around!), in this year of hot and drought, this is a blessing!! And the early spring means that everything started early, but no one’s complaining!
So what else?
Well every few days our well clicks off, and sometimes we check the water depth (has consistently been 20 feet), and sometimes we flip the switch and we’re back in business. We haven’t come up with a final solution yet although I have started to fill empty milk jugs…
And remember last Sunday evening when the electricity went off as we had a houseful of guests? On which Dad did a temporary fix for Sunday evening? (Like he propped the master switch with a 2x4)(Admittedly probably not the choice method of repair). Well thankfully Monday morning our trusty handyman Tim fixed us up. Now the rest of the story is that a year ago we knew of this problem, and we were on Tim’s list to get it fixed . Let’s just say that when Tim got Dad’s call Sunday evening, we zipped to the top of his list and we were back in business in short order.
Well when it rains it pours.
As Tori mentioned above, indeed our air conditioner quit yesterday evening! I did what every wise mom does in such emergency situations – I called Dad. (I know I shouldn’t joke. Most of the world doesn’t even know what air conditioning is, let alone call it an emergency. And yet who reading this wouldn’t think or do the same thing? I hope that our dependence on electricity and its ensuing softness would not hinder us from an enduring faith and dependence on God; but rather since we do have these blessings that we are more willing to share with others and reach out to those who don’t know the ultimate blessing of peace with Him.)
Anyway.
I know I shouldn’t complain.
But I am tired. of. hot.
Even Josh was outside in the shed one day this week, and he slumped on the floor and started crying. “It’s too hot to play.” From a little guy who typically isn’t affected by the heat (even though his head is soaking wet from sweat), this was a first.
Thankfully U. Jerry’s pool is close by, and he and A. Marcia are very generous with letting us use it. But with a few cases of swimmer’s ear, we decided we’d better take a few days off, so today being inside all day was just a long day (even though it included trips to Morton and Pekin for various and sundry farm and construction purchases). Also thankfully, Dad and the boys’ work on the addition was in the basement today. I’m not exactly sure what all they did, but I think it involved mounting a beam between two concrete walls which will next hold up trusses. I think.
At any rate, also thankfully tomorrow is supposed to be only 85 degrees.
Heehee. We might have to get out our jackets.
And the river. Oh dear.
Our boys have had many great times floating the Mack. But today was the end of that. At least for this year. They and some friends walked 95% of it, and the water was warm and the sand was hot. A good time was had by none. More character building. And a good lesson learned: when you start a river float and it’s dry for the first twenty or thirty minutes, turn around and go back because it’s NOT going to get better!!!
So as the drought lengthens, we are implementing several measures to conserve water,as in ‘88 the well did go dry and we’re quickly approaching those conditions again. As I write, Levi and Jacob are in Morton getting some larger water tanks for the livestock which will no longer be watered from the well. Rather, we will daily go to Sun Ag with our 300 gallon water tank and water all animals from that. Garden water hasn’t been from the well for awhile, and we’ll continue that. We are learning how to take three minute showers. We are considering using paper cups/plates so as to not run the dishwasher. We will combine laundry loads and have fewer big loads rather than more smaller loads. We will not let well water run while we brush teeth and lather in the shower. Since we have a shallow well, we have always watched our water usage (ie high efficiency washing machine, short showers, infrequent van washings, etc.), but now it’s getting a little more serious. Without rain to replenish our weak underwater supply, we might very well be hauling water to fill the well in the next few weeks…
Aaah life is interesting that’s for certain…
One more thing before I close this ramble -
This recipe has been clipped to my planner all week so I would remember to post it. We love this!
Cheryl’s Salad
Serves 15
1 lb. washed & cut Romaine lettuce
I lb. cut & browned bacon
2 small diced purple onions
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
Dressing
1 cup sour cream
1 cup real mayonnaise
1/2 cup sugar
That’s all!
No comments:
Post a Comment