After I posted yesterday about the heat, our day went on, mostly inside for me, complete with a game of Candyland (which I won)(which is exciting because I don’t usually win at Candyland). Anyway. The predicted cold front came through, and left us with about .7” of rain. And it brought cold :).
Yesterday morning Kate took these px for me when she went to help with the fencing. Actually she watched Josh for a little while as he wasn’t a lot of help. After he was brought home to help me inside, she and Tori stayed to help Dad & the boys. They got it 99.9% done, hooray!
The tube Dad is holding is solid at one end; it’s used to pound the steel stakes into the ground. No easy task, as the ground is solid clay. Plus, remember it was about 95 degrees at that point. A bit toasty.
Shade.
That was yesterday when it was so terribly hot. I confess yet again: I am a wimp. I spent my Saturday entirely inside and never did muster up the energy and enthusiasm to walk down and take px of the fence-making. Dad said we’d take a walk today after church, which we did, so I got px of the new fence AND the lake which is about 6 inches higher after yesterday’s rain.
Remember the pencil I planted a few weeks ago?
It’s disappearing!
Flood gate, looking east.
Beach and swimming area. Fence in foreground is floodgate; made of rusty barbed wire, it will give way when rain raises the creek.
Gate so Dave can get to the other side of the fence if he needs to. Remember the black locust (see picture above)? Obviously it was rather dead, but it left a LOT of baby trees which are being cut down. Those baby trees have incredibly sharp thorns. I’ll try to get a picture next time. Anyway, that’s what Jesse was doing – he cut a few that got missed.
Fence, looking northwest.
The three sections in the foreground will give way when the creek floods.
At the top of the hill looking east. Remember this picture from this post? Same view, fence added.
Same view, zoomed.
Lake from the north.
And – sickly calf, one of the twins, that is not doing well. It drank when Jacob got it home and is eating sweet feed, so we have high hopes that it will be ok yet when we get home. Unlike another calf that was dead when we woke up this morning. It had been looking kind of scrawny but didn’t get the extra TLC it needed due to other more pressing issues. One of my favorite sayings: “When you got a lot of irons in the fire, sometimes you just get burnt.” This time the burn was a dead calf. Bummer. We have high hopes that this one will be ok yet though. As always, time will tell.
That’s it; I’m tired.
Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment