July 2026

July 2026
Over the years, we've always compared our family life to a wagon train heading west. Just as everyone had to do his part to get to Oregon years ago, so everyone in our family must do his/her part to make our journey through life successful. If somebody climbs in the wagon and lets the others do the work, we just don't make any progress. We all have to pull our weight and work together. Along the trail we find lots of pebbles that make for a smooth ride and some bigger rocks that jar us a little; we hit the occasional pothole that can slow us down. But if we purpose to search diligently, there are countless gold nuggets and precious gemstones along the way as well. This journal is an attempt to preserve some of those precious moments for our children, and our children's children, as together we travel this trail called life.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11


Monday, March 7, 2011

3-7-11 Rats

Catching Rats

By

Jacob

Last week we caught 20 rats across the road. Kate and I were doing chores when we decided to flip over one of the boardwalks. What we were expecting was a mouse or maybe, maybe a small rat, but we were NOT expecting 12 rats, big ones and little ones! We were so surprised we jumped back and screamed very loud. The boardwalk came crashing down, and all the rats went in all directions. Down their holes they went. We went home to tell Jesse and Mom, and we decided to get a hose. We had seen a LOT of holes so we stuck the hose down them and the rats had no other choice but to come out and either run under the feeder and go down a different hole or get whacked with a shovel. At first they all ran down other holes but pretty soon all of those were full too. So they either had to get whacked with a shovel or run under a boardwalk. Once they were under a boardwalk we could flip it over and get them. Once all of those got soaked, we moved to the other side of the driveway. There were a lot there too. Once Kate was holding a big one under her shovel, and three other big ones ran over her boot. We could always tell when there was one coming up from a hole filled with water. You could see a nose poking out so we put another glush of water down the hole and out it comes. Rascal was there the whole time. She would catch one, take it across the road, kill it, and come back for another one. It was really fun.

Rats

By

Kaitlyn

Jacob and Grandpa put corn into our feeder and they saw a few rats. Then Jacob and I were doing chores across the road and flipped over one of the boardwalks expecting to see a mouse or maybe a rat. We lifted it up and there were about 10 to 15 rats in a big pile. Jacob and I both screamed very loud, (we were expecting a mouse) and jumped back and the boardwalk crashed down on top of them but they all got away. We jumped on the four-wheeler and went to tell the other kids. We took a hose over, hooked it up, and started to put water down the holes. We all had shovels and boards to hit them with but it was easier without a shovel. You did not have to hit them very hard and they would fall over dead!! Jacob caught the very first one and we were very excited. The tunnels are all connected so we had to watch all the tunnels and when one ran out you had to go till you got it. Once we got part of the ditch done we would go to another part. We found a big tunnel and started to put water down the hole. One big rat came out. I trapped him down with my shovel. Meanwhile three other big ones came running over my boot. I jumped back trying to keep my hand on the shovel that had a big one under it. We killed it and we all went after the other ones which were already gone. Sarah said she saw a big one go under a boardwalk. Everyone gathered around and we lifted the walk and there was a big rat. Jacob stepped on it just enough to trap it but not to kill it. We put it into a bucket and put a lid on it. We caught 20 rats in about 1 and a half hours. It is very fun catching rats. The big one that was saved alive we took across the road and let it go in an open spot so Rascal could get it and she was on it in a flash and killed it. Rascal was across the road with us the whole time and was helping us catch them!! It was very fun!! We’ve caught 5 more rats since Wednesday.

 

 

[So do we qualify for the Redneck Of The Year Award, or what???!!]

(Just in case you forgot…)

P1030071

P1030070

:)

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I like this post. I really do not like mice, much less rats. I'll probably have bad dreams tonight. Remind me to tell you sometime about the rat I saw in Haiti. I never slept the rest of my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I don't think I'll sleep tonight. I would have screamed very loud too. I actually have never seen a rat only mice and tat was way too much for me. Glad they are all dead!! Way too funny post and pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny - this morning Tori, Jacob, and Kate ALL told me they had dreams about rats that night. Kate dreamt they caught 80 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is disgusting!!! But I remember catching mice by their tails as a kid. We'd try to see who could have the biggest pile of dead mice. Must be a kid thing! Makes me shiver now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read my sister's comment. Yep when the corn shelling crew came to empty out the corn crib. The younger children would race around and catch mice. I believe I even laid mine out in rows too so they were easier to count!

    ReplyDelete