After the tiling equipment drove by, the kids were DONE with school. In vain I tried to keep them on task; they could not focus. Principal said we could take a snow day, I mean a tiling day, and we thoroughly enjoyed our spontaneous field trip to the levee to watch the diggers. Pretty neat stuff.
The day started out with the biggest rat yet. This is #41 I think.
Studying before the parade of machines drove by.
Spontaneous field trip – oh the blessings of home schooling!
The kids picked up sticks in the orchard while the tiling crew got ready. When the kids asked Joshua if he wanted to go with them to take sticks to the south grove, he gave a very emphatic, “No!” Jacob stayed back with him…he loved watching the machinery.
Thankfully Kate had made bread before the show started; I had to return to the house to bake it.
Kate you did a wonderful job!!!!!!
Fascinated!!!
A few monkeys were around too.
Moving the tiler into position…
…ready to go.
Lunch break.
Go!
One driver was in the tiler, which was moving very slowly. The huge wheel was digging a 6 foot trench, guided by a laser on a tripod so it would be at the correct depth (gradually sloping toward the road). The man in the red shirt would pick up the tiles and put them in the big brown box (I think they called it a shoe), and another man was inside the shoe laying the tiles on the bottom. Two wheels inside the shoe slowly fed the tile out into the trench as the tiler moved forward. A fourth man was driving the tractor on the left, which had an augur that filled in and covered the trench. It was a quite fascinating operation. I have a couple of videos of the whole thing in action which I’ll post in a separate post.
Dad came home over his lunch break and watched with us for a bit.
Checkin’ out the new tile.
Dale Williamson was so kind as to let Jacob and Ben ride in the tiler!
And…some more green when I walked. It was a bit overcast at some times, but still 70 degrees so overall a wonderful day for a field trip!!!
That’s it!
This process is fascinating! Thanks for the great photos showing it all. We had our farm tiled years ago and I don't remember much of it.
ReplyDelete