Oh, it was good to be in church again. We all missed it these past two Sundays. Although it seemed emptier than usual as quite a few were missing, singing was still beautiful and fellowship was precious. I can’t remember a specific TakeAway although we heard many good exhortations on humility and meekness among other things: good reminders for all of us.
Supper was a DELICIOUS novelty. This year was our turn to host the annual Kaiser wiener roast, and what Joyce originally planned to be a depression era pan fried chicken supper for Grandpa’s 80th birthday at Cullinan Park somehow turned into a corn boil out here instead. I think it was a combination of excessive negativity by some (one?) of her brothers (no names but he knows who he is), our offer to host it out here so we could use our shed in case of rain, and Uncle Don’s aspiration to try the corn boil. At any rate, it was very very very good, although with the spices that added so much taste, I’m not sure it qualified as depression era. From what I’ve heard about that era, the food was basic (which it was tonight) but pretty bland. Well, depression era fare or not, I hope we do this again – it was very fun and VERY good. Anyway.
Very soon after we got home from church, the boys started the fire and Chief Cook Uncle Don was out with all the food for supper. Chief Planner/Organizer Aunt Joyce wasn’t far behind him, and the corn boil began. I was in the house doing inside operations and missed out on much of this step, so Kate took most of these pictures – she really does a good job (thanks, Kate!).
Covering the first pan…
…and it’s cooking.
Assembling the second pan…
Needs more vegetables…
…and it’s ready to cook.
And there they cooked for a couple hours.
Since we’re abundantly blessed with watermelon, we decided to add one to the menu for the evening.
This one was our biggest of the year so far – weighed in at a whopping 40 pounds! I didn’t get any pictures of it cut, but it was bright red and oh so sweet and juicy. Delicious!
Aunt Marj supplied decorations.
Adding more water. The food is on a raised tray: the boiling water underneath it steams the food and has to be replaced often.
Testing.
4:30. Although most Kaisers were here, there were several who couldn’t come; they were missed.
Dad, Grandpa, Mike, Uncle Harley.
Derek and his fiance Meaghan.
YUMMMM
I wasn’t the only one snapping away!
Kate wanted to sit by Kate again.
After a beautiful evening (thankfully the predicted rain didn’t materialize) of much fun, food, and fellowship, everyone left by 8:30. Amazingly enough, while I bathed littles and got them to beds, Dad and the big kids had the entire shed, yard, and house pretty much cleaned up by 8:47. What a crew!
Beds for us too then, and that’s it.
Great pictures! :)
ReplyDelete