This is another family favorite that I was a little appalled to find un-archived (I do like making up words) last spring sometime. Many birthday meals consist of this dish and I'm not sure why I've never shared it here but it's finally time. It is super easy and delicious. Here goes.
Chicken & Gravy:
3-4# boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into serving size pieces
1 teaspoon Lawry's salt
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups mozzarella cheese
3 cups cream soup
20 crushed crackers
1/4 cup melted butter
Layer in greased 9x13 pan (or 10x15): chicken, salts, cheese, and cream soup.
*this is one of those recipes that is very forgiving. Add more or less of anything according to taste and preference*
Mix crackers and butter; spread on top of chicken. Bake 350d for about an hour. Excellent to make ahead and refrigerate.
Ready to bake -
I've no idea where either of these recipes came from; they've been around for years and the kids have loved them for years. And I. CAN. NOT. make the chicken without the rice. It's just not even an option, just like pbj with peanut butter isn't an option. Or a hot fudge sundae without the hot fudge. So. When we have chicken & gravy, we have wild rice. I haven't made the amounts shared here for years; actually I can't remember if I ever did. Au contraire, I usually do x3 or x4; because of course if we'd run out of rice before we run out of chicken, the sky would probably fall. But leftover rice disappears quickly around here; and what is left after a few days goes into the freezer for the next batch of chicken rice soup. Easy peasey.
*This is the recipe how it's written in my recipe binder*
Chicken Flavored Wild Rice
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1 stick butter
1 quart chicken broth
1 onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
In a large kettle, sauté onions with butter until onions are tender, just a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Transfer to baking dish. Bake, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours. Makes 5 servings.
*This is the recipe how I did it yesterday*
Put 6 cups rice into roaster and set aside.
In large kettle, sauté 4 sticks butter with
4 diced onions
(about 4 cups, which I pulled out of the freezer (where they were since fall 2020)(which was an excellent onion year. If you remember, 2021 was a major onion flop)),
1 teaspoon celery salt,
2 teaspoons salt, and
6 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder.
Cook all this until onions are a little bit tender, just a few minutes. Add to roaster.
No comments:
Post a Comment