September 2025

September 2025
Over the years, we've always compared our family life to a wagon train heading west. Just as everyone had to do his part to get to Oregon years ago, so everyone in our family must do his/her part to make our journey through life successful. If somebody climbs in the wagon and lets the others do the work, we just don't make any progress. We all have to pull our weight and work together. Along the trail we find lots of pebbles that make for a smooth ride and some bigger rocks that jar us a little; we hit the occasional pothole that can slow us down. But if we purpose to search diligently, there are countless gold nuggets and precious gemstones along the way as well. This journal is an attempt to preserve some of those precious moments for our children, and our children's children, as together we travel this trail called life.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11


Monday, December 13, 2010

12-13-10 De-Junking

With the addition of a ping pong table to our house, somehow our basement suddenly got smaller. So - - the cleaning frenzy began. By cleaning I don’t mean making things clean; I mean getting rid of stuff. Such as - - two baby swings??? Why? Do we really need two baby swings when a baby isn’t even in our immediate future? How about three popcorn poppers? Three?? I never considered myself a packrat, but after today’s ransacking I’m not so sure. And a food processer that I literally use once a year, if that? Well, it was FREE at a garage sale, so it was quite a bargain…until we need more space, that is. It’s going.  And toys --- oh my. Well, we used Legos as a reward when Jacob was struggling to learn to read (and it worked wonderfully!), but come on – two bushels of Legos???? Where’s the moderation here??!  And do we really need 24 plates in the little girls’ play kitchen?  And 27 cups?!! Remember the beautiful free piano of a few months ago? Well, after much care and attention from Aunt Sarah, who knows an awful lot about such things because she’s successfully fixed and refinished several old pianos, there were still some noticeably sticky keys – and one central one that didn’t work at all.  So no one (me included) had any desire to play it when we have my almost-perfect Yamaha upstairs. Literally, the kids would sit and wait their turn without a peep rather than practice on the basement piano, and I couldn’t blame them.  And we knew a ping pong table would facilitate major change down there – so it was time. The piano went to the burn pile – in pieces. My demolition crew did a fine job of demolishing it, but I couldn’t stand to watch, let alone take any pictures. It was a beautiful piece of furniture, and I love pianos, but a piano that doesn’t play or have potential to play is still nothing but junk. So, in addition to school, meals, chores, and laundry, we greatly enlarged our basement today with a bunch of cleaning, sorting, re-arranging, and re-organizing.  We still have several major moves to make yet, but already the basement seems way bigger than it did last night. It’s gonna be nice…and the price is right too…hard work and creativity go a long way.

Anyway, that was the main project of the day, but the rest of the day was pretty routine. Boys milked in the morning, getting home a little later than usual. Levi went to Precision at noon, and I was walking with Karol (yes it was cold)(but oh so good!) when Jesse went by us on his way to help Uncle Randy ship hogs. They dug into school when they got home from their respective jobs, and the rest of the crew braved the elements and did chores but were back in pretty quickly. Littles never went out at all today – we were too busy in the basement, and the day just wasn’t conducive to outside play (high of 10 degrees or so, plus a brisk wind). Kate made bread solo again, and then she blessed us all with a pan of RK bars – thanks Kate! Soup for supper was just the thing for a cold cold day; we did Bibletime right afterwards so we could dig into the basement again – this time with Dad’s help and advice for tomorrow. Lots of pong pong ponging too (I’ll probably hear it in my sleep tonight) and then a few baths and beds for all.

Joshua got to help grind carrots for chicken noodle soup – he thought he was pretty tough stuff!

P1000422

That’s it; good night.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that there were still some keys sticking. Last I knew, you had blogged some videos of you playing the piano without any difficulty. I could have re-greased the problem keys and worked with it some more.

    A Dissappointed ASK

    ReplyDelete