September 2025

September 2025
Over the years, we've always compared our family life to a wagon train heading west. Just as everyone had to do his part to get to Oregon years ago, so everyone in our family must do his/her part to make our journey through life successful. If somebody climbs in the wagon and lets the others do the work, we just don't make any progress. We all have to pull our weight and work together. Along the trail we find lots of pebbles that make for a smooth ride and some bigger rocks that jar us a little; we hit the occasional pothole that can slow us down. But if we purpose to search diligently, there are countless gold nuggets and precious gemstones along the way as well. This journal is an attempt to preserve some of those precious moments for our children, and our children's children, as together we travel this trail called life.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

7-11-10 Never In A Million Years

Jeff Bahler from Wolcott had the morning sermon; Glen had the afternoon. It was so nice having so many out-of-town Steiner relatives in church, although I didn’t even get to everybody. I’ll try to remember them all: Joan, Glen, Mike, June, Jeff, Dave, A. Velma, Karen, U. Cloyce & A. Carol, and Carrie (well, Jason and 4 were there; Carrie was here at home with Amber). There were still plenty missing though, and maybe one of these years we’ll surprise A. B. and have 100% turn-out at the reunion. Wouldn’t that be something?! Anyway, church was full, fellowship was a blessing, singing was beautiful, and sermons were good. One sermon was on Genesis 41 where Joseph was in prison unjustly. I think it was Jeff who pointed out that Joseph was in prison for 12 years; I don’t remember knowing it was for that long. And yet, he was faithful to God, and God was faithful to him. Even though Joseph couldn’t know how God was going to use and bless him later, he trusted. That’s the kind of faith I want to have.

After church, Joshua and I took a nice long nap, Levi and Ben went fishing, Dad took Sarah and Jewel with him to get supper, and the rest read and relaxed in the cool air conditioning. I think everyone was kind of wiped out from the pace (and heat) of the weekend. Oh yes, it was a wonderful weekend, and we enjoyed it thoroughly; but it’s good to switch to a slower gear after a few high speed days.

And slow gear was our evening. We read, relaxed, and recovered; it was so very humid out that nobody wanted to be outside. Legos, computer, books…just peaceful and slow.

Bibletime and beds.

This song has been on my mind often lately; it was on an old record that I grew up with. I don’t know the composer, artist, or anything. I just know I like it.

Never In A Million Years

Have you ever wondered why the Saviour came?

From heaven to earth to die on a cross of shame?

Have you ever sought to know why he paid the price?

Why he did to Calvary go, as the sinner’s sacrifice?

Never in a million years, if that could be,

Could we know the reason why he suffered on the cross for you and me.

Willingly he died that day,

Died to take our sins away,

But never in a million years could we understand such love.

Though we cannot comprehend why Jesus cares,

Why he became our friend and our sorrows shared,

Oh, the secret will remain with God above.

That we now can praise his name for the wonder of his love.

Never in a million years, if that could be,

Could we know the reason why he suffered on the cross for you and me.

Willingly he died that day,

Died to take our sins away,

But never in a million years could we understand such love.

2 comments:

  1. Even though we couldn't make it to the reunion this year, I sure enjoyed looking at all the pictures of it that you posted. Thanks!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed you, Diane! Glad you enjoyed the pictures.
    r

    ReplyDelete