To the bean patch by 6:30; this morning at different times I was picking with every one of the kids. Levi and Jesse started out with me, then Levi left to take the truck to Mike’s Garage; Dad brought him home. Levi then took Jesse to Uncle Randy’s so I lost him then too. Ben wandered out to help next; Joshua was close after him, and all the girls eventually helped at one point or other too. As much as I appreciate the solitude and silence of the job, I enjoyed the chit chat of the morning more. I had some ponder time too after everyone had left to start snipping/snapping; I always go over everyone else’s rows no matter what the age. Obviously the older 3 only take me a few minutes to go over, and I find very few beans, but some of the others’ rows were another story. I found more beans on the second pick than they did on the first pick. And sometimes, as I would be looking at the next row over, which I had done, I would find beans I myself missed. My conclusion: we all need someone to check up on us, no matter what our age and ability, no matter if we’re picking beans, washing dishes, mowing a lawn, weeding a garden, typing a story, managing a household, milking cows, building trusses, disciplining children, discipling children, or WHATEVER it may be; we need to check up on each other. “Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.” (Phil. 2: 4) And next week when I pick beans again…I’ll know that all the fat overripe ones were because no one checked up on me. I’ll have my report card then.
Anyway. Beans all day, and Aunt Sarah took Tori to the orthodontist and did a few errands for me in the morning too. Levi went to CIT in the morning, and was home soon after Uncle Randy brought Jesse back. They went to bale hay for Gregg by noon, and, due to some unforeseen happenings, were home for supper with us. We babysat for Maria for a little while in the afternoon; I walked with Karol, and other than that beans were the focus of the day. We ended up with 30 quarts with which I was very happy. After supper we went to Grandpa Kaiser’s to help Aunt Joyce tear out her old carpet in her bedroom. Well, the older kids and Dad helped; Grandma read to the littles and I played with Joshua outside. It was a beautiful evening but I didn’t enjoy it like I could have – I hate it that my back/legs/shoulders get so sore after picking beans for a few hours. I don’t want to get old and decrepit. It was after 9:00 until we got home from Grandpa’s so we all went straight to beds.
A few pictures:
This was five 5-gallon buckets, or about 2 1/2 bushels.
Don’t Grandpa’s yellow beans look pretty?
Hard at work (more or less).
Grandpa was bring haybales back and lining them up on the levee; everyone got a turn to make a couple rounds with him.
Aunt Sarah brought butterscotch bars for my birthday. Yummm!
Joshua LOVED his turn on the tractor.
Making progress…
Have to take a break to pet a kitten.
::Smiles::
::Sunshine::
Sarah was such a good babysitter for Maria.
Almost done!
Work’s done; time for some fun!
“Thank you Lord for Your blessings on me.”
No comments:
Post a Comment