September 2025

September 2025
Over the years, we've always compared our family life to a wagon train heading west. Just as everyone had to do his part to get to Oregon years ago, so everyone in our family must do his/her part to make our journey through life successful. If somebody climbs in the wagon and lets the others do the work, we just don't make any progress. We all have to pull our weight and work together. Along the trail we find lots of pebbles that make for a smooth ride and some bigger rocks that jar us a little; we hit the occasional pothole that can slow us down. But if we purpose to search diligently, there are countless gold nuggets and precious gemstones along the way as well. This journal is an attempt to preserve some of those precious moments for our children, and our children's children, as together we travel this trail called life.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11


Thursday, December 6, 2012

12-6-12 Puzzling Ramble

P1250890

Some of our kids are natural puzzlers; they could do them at age two (or younger) by themselves. Some of our kids are not natural puzzlers; they had no interest in doing them at age two, and even at age three and older they just weren’t that thrilled with the activity. Josh is kind of an in between one. He’s not had a huge interest in puzzles, but he has always done them with me when I pull them out during our morning puzzle time. We take turns putting in pieces, and he does okay, but not great. Sometimes he doesn’t have the patience to study the piece and figure out where it goes; but if I show him where it goes, he’ll put it in correctly. One day this week he picked out this set to do, and we started out taking turns like usual. It wasn’t too long, though, that he was going out of turn and pretty much doing it by himself.

It kind of pulled me up short.

He doesn’t need me anymore.

Yes, I know he needs me and always will, in various and multitudes of ways, just like my older kids do, but he doesn’t need me to do puzzles with him anymore.

Of course I’ll still do puzzles with him, just like I still do puzzles with Jewel and Sarah and Ben and my other puzzlers, but he doesn’t need me to help him because

he is growing up!!!!!!!

Josh is almost four years old, which is NOT a baby (which he firmly tells me)(and he’s right), but at this point he does still need me in ways the other kids don’t. Like fixing food (even Jewel can run the microwave), getting dressed correctly (oh, he can dress himself, all right, but if I want him right side out and front side front, he needs my help), brushing his teeth (his efforts don’t quite cut the mustard yet), combing his hair, making his bed (sometimes Ben helps), blowing his nose, putting his shoes on, and so on. Even as I write this, I know that this list is not going to last long at all. Some things will be off the list this winter already. Others will be a little longer, but it is inevitable, this growing up.

**sigh**

I’m vaguely remembering something I’ve seen somewhere.

“One life to live, forever past; only what’s done for Christ will last.”

(something like that)

I’m going to take a little editing liberty; here’s my version:

“One life to live, forever past; what I do for my children will forever last.”

Since God has given me the career of motherhood, what I do for my kids is what I do for Him. Wiping noses – is for Him. Combing hair – is for Him. Washing wet linens (two sets, because he didn’t notice he was wet through and jumped in his sisters’ bed for the joy of it!) – is for Him. Puzzling with our little ones – is for Him. All these things we do as moms – these mundane things for which we’re never thanked or appreciated – are for Him.

But let’s get this straight -

We are thanked, we are appreciated, we are cheered on, encouraged to keep on, and celebrated by the very One Who gave us this job.

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9

Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak: for your work shall be rewarded. 2 Chronicles 15:7

He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. Isaiah 40:11

All God’s children can rightly claim these promises, and we who are mothers are not exempt. If we faint not, we shall reap. Our work shall be rewarded. God shall gently lead those that are with young.

As my motherhood career leaves babyhood behind and continues racing towards adult children at a breakneck pace, I’m keenly aware that all stages and ages of kids in between need me just as much as my babies did; it’s just in vastly different ways. And that’s not a bad thing; independence for our kids is what motherhood is all about, is it not?  Attaining that independence with Godly wisdom is our goal for them, isn’t it? So a little boy who doesn’t need me to do puzzles with him is a good thing, right?

But of course!

Then why was I pulled up short?

Because -

it

goes

so

fast!

 

BLINK.

Disappointed smile

 

Just like that.

My puzzle-teaching days are OVER.

As is this ramble.

 

Smile

 

Mama – go puzzle with your little one.

JOYFULLY!

 

 

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord

Colossians 3:23

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Aunt Ruth! I was feeling a little extra bummed about the everyday messiness and normalcy around here. You have challenged me to look at it through different eyes and the perspective of a child of God. Thank you! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.aholyexperience.com/2012/12/the-best-way-to-do-christmas-cleaning/

    Nice post. Similar thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, your grandmother made a wall hanging when she was a girl that you may have seen on her wall.
    It was some kind of needle work that her mother had taught her. Someone probably still has it somewhere.


    "Only one life, t'will soon be past, Only what's done for Christ will last"

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete