September 2025

September 2025
Over the years, we've always compared our family life to a wagon train heading west. Just as everyone had to do his part to get to Oregon years ago, so everyone in our family must do his/her part to make our journey through life successful. If somebody climbs in the wagon and lets the others do the work, we just don't make any progress. We all have to pull our weight and work together. Along the trail we find lots of pebbles that make for a smooth ride and some bigger rocks that jar us a little; we hit the occasional pothole that can slow us down. But if we purpose to search diligently, there are countless gold nuggets and precious gemstones along the way as well. This journal is an attempt to preserve some of those precious moments for our children, and our children's children, as together we travel this trail called life.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11


Monday, March 13, 2017

Strawberry Cloud Pie

Since lots of Kaisers bellyached about the cherries in the Cherry Berries On A Cloud, I did some experimenting which I thought was pretty successful (partly). Try this yourself and you be the judge!

For the Very Successful Strawberry Cloud Pie - - -

Make exact same meringue recipe as for the Cherry Berries recipe; but put into two well-greased 9” pie plates and bake at 275d for an hour. After turning off the oven, I only left them in for about four hours as opposed to the 12 hours for the Cherry Berries (what a time saver!); that seemed to work fine. I saw little if any difference.

This is the meringue, pre-baked.

P1190333

Prepare exact same filling as for Cherry Berries; divide evenly between the two pies. Refrigerate 4 hours or so (another time saver, wow).

P1190325

Prepare exact same topping as for Cherry Berries EXCEPT replace the can of cherry pie filling with a can of strawberry pie filling.

P1190335

That’s it.

So simple and absolutely delicious. Immediately shot to the top of My Favorite Dessert list.

Next experiment wasn’t quite as successful. Same meringue pie crust but filled with standard Strawberry Pie filling. Delicious but I wasn’t terribly impressed with how soggy/runny the crust got. Makes a pretty picture but might have to try something different for the filling. Might be straight sugared strawberries with whipped topping (?). Will report back if I ever get that far – likely not for awhile since most everyone here is cloudy meringued out. (Not me though!)

Meringue Crust Strawberry Pie -

P1190324

As an aside – this crust is gluten-free, which is why Liz & I were discussing meringue in the first place. I’m not sure the strawberry glaze is though, which is another reason to go with straight strawberries topped with real whipped cream (if you’re looking for delicious gluten-free desserts).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment