Last week when I was walking with Liz, we chatted about a meringue pie crust that reminded me of this recipe of long ago. I used to make it Way Back When; I have no idea why it dropped out of my repertoire of dessert recipes. Maybe because it’s really really sweet and rich?! Maybe because it takes a little planning ahead? Don’t really know.
Anyway, I made it this week again; and it was just as easy as I remembered and just as delicious too! My family loved it too except for the cherries; stay tuned for a few variations.
MERINGUE:
6 egg whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
1¾ cups sugar
FILLING:
2 packages (3 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whipping cream, whipped
2 cups miniature marshmallows
TOPPING:
1 can cherry pie filling
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until foamy. Gradually add the sugar (1 tablespoon at a time), beating on high until stiff peaks form (do not underbeat). Spread evenly in a greased 9x13 cake pan. Bake at 275d for 1 hour; turn off oven (do not open door). Let cool in oven overnight or at least 12 hours. Beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth; gently fold in cream and marshmallows. Spread over meringue. Chill for 4 hours. Cut into 16 pieces. Combine topping ingredients; spoon ¼ cup over each serving. Yield: 16 servings.
This takes me back a few years.
ReplyDelete