Spark started the afternoon of poetry by announcing to us that there was a talented poet on board. Mike delighted us all with a spontaneous poem:
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Grass is green,
And dirt is brown.
Impressive, huh?
Well, waayyy in the back, the girls had sent up a note (or two?) requesting that the temps be lowered, as they were really warming up back there. After Mike’s initial poem, the girls resorted to poetry to communicate:
Dear Mikey,
We have a poem of our own…
We are turning blue, Because you need to take a driving lesson or two.
The journey is getting long But we will stay strong.
~the girls
…which Spark read aloud over the bus PA. With professional critique, hilarious commentary, and occasional spontaneous songs by Spark and Mike, time and miles flew by. I won’t post all the poems (there were literally dozens!), but here are a few for your reading pleasure.
*******************************************
Mikey is so nice to us. I’m so glad he’s driving our bus.
We like it when he sings a song, Even if it’s very long.
Rocking left to right, Flying water bottles is quite a sight.
Even though you swerve a little, We don’t get in a big tittle.
We won’t mention your volleyball skills, Because we know you were missing your pills.
Overall you are a nice guy, So for now we will say good-bye.
~the girls
********************************************
Dear Mikey,
The cold air is blowing, And so is the hot,
The notes freely flowing, But funny they’re not.
Four hours in, And we’re losing our lighting,
Even the sun From the Meisters is hiding.
The poems keep on coming, The good ones and duds,
But thank the good Lord, I’ve got my ear buds.
If the poems keep being read, Losing our minds will be the fate.
But quite possibly, It’s already been too late.
The girls are pretty good, But I’m even better.
They send up stanzas, But I’ve got a whole letter.
To write a good poem You need excellent timing,
But more important Is reasonable rhyming.
A well-written poem, If you really must know,
Has to have A well-going flow.
I’m not really hungry But I can’t wait to eat.
It’s because I want badly To get out of my seat.
These constant songs and rhymes Are dreadfully dulling,
So all I can ask Is you keep this bus rolling!
(unsigned)
***********************************************
As the hours have rolled by, And the jokes have become more dry,
Often we have heard a cry, Of why, oh why, oh why?
There are many occupations that would have kept us busy this weekend,
But instead, We rode a bus, down south, With a guy with a really big mouth.
~Anonymous T. Irrelevant
************************************************
Dear Mikey,
Can you please hurry up Cuz the stench is bad.
The little kids Use the bathroom like it’s a fad.
The entertainment is getting rather dull,
Good thing the cool air soothes the soul.
Thanks so much for the services you’ve provided.
If you came to the back, we’d be quite excited!
~the girls
ps. The last one was not us, There’s a fraud on this bus!
************************************************
Although I’m not a fraud, And definitely not a babe,
I do enjoy writing poems, and will try not to become too lame.
~Anonymous T. Irrelevant
************************************************
Mike,
As we listen to your music, flowing deep and rich,
Our hearts are stirred within us, even when you are off pitch.
You may not be Rich Sturban, Bill Gaither or Ray Reece,
But you become a star to us, when you complete your piece.
~Anonymous T. Irrelevant
*************************************************
Mike,
We are bored. We have nothing to do. Would you please tell us stories?
PLEASE
When you swerve this way and that,
We can’t really nap.
~The Wuckers
*************************************************
The girls’ pens are silent, As Anonymous stuns the crowd,
They know he is much better, Because the applause was very loud!
~Anonymous T. Irrelevant
ps - this is not Trent!
*************************************************
Frauds are bad for one’s reputation, They will rarely live up to your expectation.
The semi that just passed us, gave us quite a scare, So be careful with what you do up there.
Boredom is doing strange things to our mind, We need a diversion so we can unwind.
When are we eating, Are we eating tonight? Or are we going to wait until it’s light?
We have just one question though. What state are we in, we’d like to know?
~the girls
[Mike’s response: we’re in the state of disrepair!]
*************************************************
Dear Mikey,
We are coming up soon to sing you a song,
Don’t worry, it won’t take us long.
~the girls
The girls’ song, dedicated to Anonymous T. Irrelevant:
My turtle swims sideways, Your turtle swims upside down. My turtle swims sideways, Your turtle is dead!
(sung by the girls to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance)
*************************************************
To the girls,
My turtle may be dead, Because I failed to give it its daily bread.
But if you don’t give me a break, I’ll sic on you my snake!
~Anonymous T. Irrelevant
*************************************************
Dear Meisters,
You are getting quite boring,
Tell another story to keep us all roaring
~The Wuckers
*************************************************
The traffic is not moving, but that won’t stop my pen,
As I state, the girls’ writings are not worth a Japanese yen.
Oh men can speak of beauty; of rivers deep and wide,
Of mountains tall and rugged, of horses which we ride.
But of all these many marvels, most everyone can agree,
The most amazing of them all is called Anonymous T!!
~Anonymous T. Irrelevant
*************************************************
Dear Mikey,
Please tell us not just one more rhyme, We need more from you to have a better time.
Others here are lacking inspiration. For some, writing poetry is not a vacation.
As we walked through this bus, we felt some hot air, And someone’s head was quite big, under his hair.
He thinks he’s so good but really he’s not. He thinks he’s your favorite by writing a lot.
But we all know, just as much as you, No matter what he thinks, its not true.
Our beauty is so stunning, We can’t help our poetry is so cunning.
Your driving continues to scare us quite well, and tables falling is not very swell.
~the girls
ps – We are not scared of snakes at all. I once held a black snake 5 feet tall.
************************************************
Dear Sparky,
We were sorry to learn that Mikey is relation. We wouldn’t dare go with him on vacation.
By the way, our pens are not silent, if Irrelevant doesn’t stop we will become violent.
~the girls
*************************************************
Mike,
We are getting bored
Out of our gourd.
If some of the letters
Would be better
We would be able to stay awake.
~the Wuckers
**************************************************
Mike,
While girls threaten violence, and strife and hate and fear,
The beauty they claim to have, is definitely not near.
Anonymous is good, and nice and kind and calm,
And never threatens hatred, when things are going wrong.
Their morals may be lacking, their manners quite uncouth.
But this we can attribute, to their immaturity and youth.
~Anonymous T. Irrelevant
**************************************************
Dear Irrelevant,
Your intent is clear, you’re trying to discredit our career.
We’d like you to stop. Or we’ll have to call a cop.
We will not stand for blatant mockings. We wouldn’t want to be by you so we have to smell your stockings!
~the girls
To the people in the front of the bus,
We haven’t been hearing you much, except for the giggles and such.
We’d like to hear your side on this feud; We’d like you to silence the arrogant dude.
~the girls
Dear Mikey,
This traffic is making us very, very nervous, but we appreciate your unselfish service.
We noticed Irrelevant doesn’t seem to appreciate you, and we’re sure you’ve noticed that too.
~the girls
************************************************
Dear Mikey,
As our boredom is getting bigger, We will stop to eat we figure.
If we don’t eat soon, We will act like a rabid baboon.
~the girls and the Californian
*************************************************
Dear Mikey,
We know you are growing in age,
But you don’t have to show it with the decrease of mileage.
~The Californian
*************************************************
Mike,
I’ve enjoyed this small exchange, and I hope that you have too,
But I have one small request, before this trip is through.
If I was to ask, and beg and cry and plea,
Could you write a poem, especially for me?
~Anonymous T. Irrelevant
*********************************************
Mike,
Anonymous is tired, the night’s becoming late,
So with grief I lay down my pencil, and let God decide its fate.
I’ve enjoyed writing poems, and debating with the girls,
But will finally cease my writing, as the smell of sewer swirls.
Even though I have “retired,” I may pick up my pen.
If folks will beg and plead with me, I’ll take it up again.
Better back on out now, before I start to cry,
May God ride with you, 10:4, and Goodbye.
~Anonymous T. Irrelevant
Ruth,
ReplyDeleteThank you for changing our mistakes and misspelling.
The Wuckers
I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the Californian is really good at poetry!
ReplyDelete~Jackson Wettstein
(Aka-the Californian)