. . . has been a blur of busy. Busy but blessed.
Seems like I always start summer out with a nice tidy schedule. That’s just the way I am; I like structure. This summer I was planning to take a walk at a certain time, read to Josh at a certain time, read aloud to my three littles at a certain time, do emails at a certain time, blog at a certain time, start supper at a certain time, etc. etc. Well so it seems like my summers start out pretty scheduled but I don’t get very far into June and my tidy little schedule flies out the window and flexibility reigns. Which I like too. Makes life much sweeter, much less stressful. And since stress is responsible for around 90% of health problems, I’m glad to choose flexible. Not sure why I even start out with a schedule except that during the school year (and for the past 15 or so years of homeschooling) I’ve used one and it has served me well. And I do prefer structure, as in job lists, grocery lists, supper helper lists, etc. Funny though how I can have the best system worked out and then BOOM, all of a sudden I realize life has changed and “the system” hasn’t been used for several weeks. Just yesterday I found my tidy little supper helper list which I’ve had for years; I think I started it when Jewel was a baby. For about ten years it worked very well. Older kids had assigned days when they chose the menu, did all meal prep, and got everything on the table. Worked great during those many years when I was focusing on littles. My littles are few these days, and the few I have aren’t even that little anymore. So this past year my tidy supper schedule has been followed pretty intermittently. These last several months - hardly at all, and this summer not once. More often than not, the older five kids are gone and supper prep falls to three and me. Which is ok. I’m not taking care of babies or potty-training anymore, so it’s good and right that I take back the jobs I used to do Way Back When. Which includes feeding and clothing everyone in residence here and trying to keep some semblance of order and organization and cleanliness to the place. Throw a thriving garden and yard in the mix and the necessary trips to the pond now and then and, well, all this to say that the old blog doesn’t always make the list.
Soooo - -
With four hours down and about five to go ‘til we get to U. Jeff’s – the time is here - - -
although my time is limited even now because the nestlings are crying “Hungry!” and I’m the one beside the Survival Kit - - -
Back to last Saturday. Love this action shot, orneriness exemplified.
We enjoyed hosting Grandpa Kaiser and a few Kaisers for Father’s Day.
Apple time – not the best year we’ve had but we won’t complain. We picked these Monday - earlier than usual so as to get them before the Japanese Beetles did. Nasty things are getting the baby peach and cherry trees, grapes, and zinnias too . Sure wish they’d leave us alone.
Thankful!
Also thankful Levi & Echo came - - -
(and aren’t they cute?!)
to help us wish Tori a Happy Golden Birthday!
Tuesday evening three older kids attended a young group function; the rest of us picked up a few hay bales from CIT.
Tuesday night we were so grateful for a good rain. Things were getting really dry; the 1.8” we got will soon have things greened up again. Rain and clouds continued into Wednesday morning, but it had cleared off and steamed up nicely for a trip to the pond with a few friends after lunch.
Highlight of the pond was another critter for the zoo .
Early carrots – fun!
Cherries cherries cherries!!!
I’ve learned that my family doesn’t love cherry desserts OR pitting cherries for said desserts. I’ve also learned that a frozen cube of cherry juice mixed into orange juice (with a splash of stevia to sweeten) makes a delicious accompaniment to eggs for breakfast. So I did what all middle-aged moms do when they’re looking for a way to turn cherries into juice: I googled it.
Google said to blend (STONES and all – NO PITTING,
) in high-speed blender, then rice;
but I didn’t care for the skin and stone pieces that slipped through the ricer. So I strained the blended cherries through a tea towel to get a delicious cherry juice which I then froze. Frozen cubes are emptied into quart bags, ready for long-term storage in the freezer. So far my family hasn’t learned to appreciate this gourmet drink, so I get to keep all the deliciousness (and nutrition) to myself (which my aging body needs and which my family is happy to let me have). Good deal!
Thursday morning was sweeter with a few greats. Brooks took a nice nap, but we all enjoyed Jocie’s smiley sweetness. Love these little ones!
Thursday night we were so very blessed by the Collingsworth Family concert at the Midwest Food Bank fundraiser. Excellent concert. Best yet was our unanimous verdict. The blessing continued to Friday when Jacob did his rendition of Kim’s high-energy piano playing .
Friday brought us a Whitley for the day but due to more green beans and cherries and my forgetfulness to take the camera to the pond, I have no pictures of said sweetheart. Friday evening found us packing for our trip to MN for Leah’s testimony & baptism; my cousin Jenn joined us and is hopefully enjoying her time with us!
And northward we go!
No comments:
Post a Comment