This was an interesting building. I’m not sure of all the science behind everything, but it’s definitely a recording studio, not a social gathering place. It’s basically a room inside a room which ensures that no outside noises can interrupt the integrity of the recording session. On the ceiling, in between the wooden boards, is fabric of some sort. There were no parallel walls. The windows at the far end look into the control room which is where I sat to listen during the actual recording. If you look carefully you can see Denny in there at his desk. The window to the far right is another control room which wasn’t used when we were there. Note the wall is not straight but rather zig-zagged.
Kind of hard to tell, but the ceiling is also zig-zagged; thus it’s not parallel to the floor.
Watching from the control room. To the left, behind the curtain, the wall is scalloped; that is, it’s not straight but rather is curved, again with fabric between boards. Interesting. This picture is actually taken through 2 panes of windows which insulate the control room from the recording room. Kids are watching for Denny’s signal to start.
Recording.
Again, it’s kind of hard to tell here, but there’s a stairstep in front of the window, which is where I sat most of the time. The triangular area between the two walls is ‘dead’ space – home to a few dead bugs but that’s it .
After singing a few songs, kids would join us in the control room to listen & decide if it was good enough or not. Some songs were done several times; some only needed one time through. Last night they finished recording, so after that we had time to watch Denny do some mixing/mastering which was even more interesting. He can take out mistakes (?!), adjust volume and tempo, add reverberation, equalizers, and other effects, and cut&paste parts of one ‘take’ into another ‘take’ which had a mistake. On one song, Jacob thought his instrumental break was weak, so he re-did only the break; Denny will replace the weak break with the good break in the final product. Amazing. Before we hear the finished product, he will go through all the songs and mix/master them; on some recordings he will spend up to five hours per song mixing/mastering! For our project, he’s ‘only’ going to do about half an hour per song…and I’m pretty happy already with how it sounds (but I’m the mom, and the kids are pretty sure I’d be fine with anything they do. They might be right ).
Back home - - -
That’s it.
I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel. My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed.
Psalm 71:22-23
No comments:
Post a Comment