This recipe is long overdue.
As I scoured the internet looking for this recipe’s cookbook and its author, I learned that Wildflour and its author, Denise Fidler, aka The Country Baker, do not exist in cyberspace. The website given in the cookbook is simply not there. I’m not sure where they went. They’re just gone.
But I still have her cookbook and have been making this recipe for many years now; after these many years I am still happy with the results. In short, I love this bread. It’s quick and easy but does require freshly ground flour which does require a grain mill. I’ve never made it any other way so can’t say how well it works with any other kind of flour. I use freshly ground Prairie Gold wheat berries in this bread. Prairie Gold makes a very ‘light’ whole wheat, which means that it’s not the heavy dense whole wheat you might expect. Actually a year or so ago Dad & I went to the Great Harvest Bread Company (a restaurant) in Morton, and our sandwiches were made out of bread that was almost identical to my homemade. And we paid $6.50 per sandwich for ham, cheese, and lettuce on this delicious bread. All of a sudden my ‘plain Jane’ homemade bread increased in value!
Anyway.
Here is the recipe.
Denise’s Honey Wheat Bread
Place in large mixing bowl:
6 cups hottest tap water (120-140 degrees)
1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons SAF instant yeast
3 tablespoons dough enhancer (optional)
10 cups freshly ground hard white wheat
Mix above on speed 1 until mixture is well blended, about 20 seconds. Continue to add flour until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl, being sure to add the cups of flour rather briskly. Once the sides of the bowl are clean, stop to check the dough by touching it. It should not feel wet or tacky. If it does, continue adding enough flour until it feels moist but will not stick all over your hands. Time the kneading for about 6 minutes, increasing to speed 2 if motor labors.
Divide the dough into appropriate size pieces for your pans (4 or 5 loaves depending on size of pans). Place dough into greased pans; pans should be filled 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. Cover with a light towel and let rise until dough is 1-2 inches above the sides of the pan. Place pans into pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Bread is done when a thermometer reads between 190-200 degrees. (I’ve never tested it this way; I just konw when the bottom and sides are golden brown it is done.)
Remove bread immediately from pans and cool on wire racks. Slice one loaf immediately and slather a slice with soft butter and homemade jam.
Enjoy!
And now you know what we did on Saturday morning.
Well – this is only part of what we did.
Saturday afternoon Dad & I spent in the orchard until we got rained out. Lots and lots of Fuji – absolutely the best.
But yes, poor Fuji trees need some pruning. They don’t look too good.
Sunday morning sunrise was gorgeous.
Interesting backyard view.
Very blessed day at church, good pasture walk to check cows, then to spend the evening with a crowd of special friends. This is the only picture I remembered to take – Brandi was pretty impressed with Lexi, but I’m not sure Lexi was equally impressed with Brandi.
*thanks Kochs!!*
No comments:
Post a Comment