Way back here I posted this recipe that I got from my cousin Hope. This week I was making it, which I hadn’t done for - - - maybe years? (because the kids usually do it) - - - and Kate informed me that I was doing it the old inefficient way. Trust Kate to invent a way that dirties way fewer dishes!
Here’s the original recipe from Hope -
Weck Breckela
12 ounces bread, diced or broken up in smaller pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 eggs
1 cup milk
Soak bread pieces in milk, egg, and salt mixture. Fry in skillet with a little oil. After you turn it over, chop it up in small pieces as you continue to fry. (The bread can be partly dried, or I just save the crusts and freeze them). Serve with syrup just like you would French toast.
Here it is, as we do it -
Thaw all bread rejects and break up into smallish pieces. Scramble up a bunch of eggs. Mix the two and fry in oil or butter, chopping and turning as bottom is cooked. Serve with syrup just like you would French toast.
And here’s Kate’s brilliant method -
Make sure bag has no holes. This method could get interesting if bag has a hole!
Rip apart bread rejects right in the bag.
Drop eggs right into the bag.
Twist tightly, making sure there’s a good amount of air included with the bread/eggs.
Shake until bread is well coated with egg, adding more eggs as necessary. Dump mixture into hot oil or butter and cook until done.
Happily throw bag into the trash! Don’t worry about wasting the bag, because it was a ratty one to start with (meaning it’s been recycled too many times already) or it wouldn’t have been chosen to hold bread rejects for a month or so.
And that’s all there is to it!
A few random photos – sorry quality isn’t that great but that’s how dusk is.
the end
No comments:
Post a Comment